Search Letters Formats Here

Letter to Bank for closing Fixed Deposit FD before/after Maturity

Most of the banks will not entertain requests for withdrawal of fixed deposit money before maturity date. If you still request for withdrawal, you might lose a major portion of the interest on it. The bank may even totally waive it as per its terms and conditions.

how to write a letter to bank to close fixed depositWhether or not you have submitted the request to withdraw the money before or after the date of maturity, the letter format will be the same. The bank will determine on its own the impact of date of withdrawal request on interest amount as per the terms.

Also check with the bank's branch for any prescribed form, because some banks may not accept request letters in plain paper and will only take requests for surrender of FD only in their prescribed pre-printed forms.


Date: ..................

(Name of the Account/ FD holder)
(Phone Number)

The Branch Manager
(Name of the Bank)
(Name of the Branch)

Sub.: Surrender of fixed deposit for withdrawal of money

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am having a savings account bearing the number __________ in your bank at _______ branch. I currently have one fixed deposit with your bank bearing number _________ for a sum of (amount), which is maturing on (Date).

I hereby submit my request to you to kindly close the said fixed deposit and credit the proceeds to my savings account number __________.

I declare that I have read and understood the terms and conditions of your bank for this purpose on fixed deposits and I agree to abide by the same.

I am enclosing herewith the original copy of the fixed deposit receipt. A copy of my PAN card self-attested by me is also enclosed herewith for verification purposes.

Kindly process my application at the earliest.

Thanking you!
Yours faithfully,

(Name of the Account/ FD holder)

(1) Original FD receipt
(2) PAN card signed copy


  1. Thank you very much for the format.

  2. Was helpful in writing my letter.

  3. What if we just wanted to withdraw some amount after maturity of FD and then want to reinvest the remaining amount as fd

    1. Then, at first, you will have to submit a request to mature the FD in full and after receipt of the maturity amount, you can keep whatever amount you want to keep out of it and open a new FD for the rest of the amount with the bank.

      Options to mature an existing FD and open a new FD are available both through online medium and at branch office.

  4. Is it possible if nominee can request for FD withdrawal as the account holder is being hospitalized and money is required for same.

    1. Generally, only after death of the FD holder, withdrawal is possible by the nominee by providing necessary documents. But if the FD holder is alive and hospitalised, you can get the FD withdrawal/maturity form signed from that person in the hospital and submit it to the bank. Some banks have made available the form online too. Please call at the customer care executive number of the bank or email them to know the exact process. If the FD was created online, you can use the netbanking website to mature the FD. An OTP might be sent in online withdrawal case.

  5. If the fixed deposit is in joint name what to do for encashment of it prematurely?

    1. Both holders' signatures will be required in application form. Please visit bank's branch office. They might have printed application form for you to fill up and submit.


Post a Comment

Leave your comments and queries here. We will try to get back to you.