Search Letters Formats Here

Letter to bank for conversion of NRE account to resident account

In case you were a non-resident earlier and living in foreign country permanently for job or business purposes, but if you have left the foreign country and come back to India for settling down at India forever as a resident of it, then in addition to many other formalities of changes you have to also apply for conversion of your NRE/NRO/FCNR bank account to normal resident account.

Letter to Bank for conversion of NRE account to Resident accountFor this you may have to provide several documents to the bank as proof of your permanent residency in India now - including a letter of request with declarations, KYC documents of identity and residence proof in India, duly filled in and signed resident account opening form, etc.

Do enquire with your bank for better clarification on procedure and documents requirements.

Following format of request letter with declarations to the bank for conversion of non resident bank account to resident bank account could be used if the bank doesn't already have a pre-printed form for it.


Date: .................

(Account-holder Name)
(Residential Address)
(Phone No., Email)

The Manager
(Name of the Branch)
(Name of the Bank)
(Branch Address)

Sub.: Conversion of my existing NRE account to resident account

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am an existing customer of your bank, holding a NRE account for last few years. Following are my account details:

Name of account holder: ...............................
NRE account number: ...................................
Customer Identification Number: ..................

I would like to inform you that I have come back to India last month from my earlier resident country i.e. ................... I am going to permanently settle down in India. Therefore, I hereby request you to kindly convert my non-resident account into resident account.

I hereby declare and confirm that:
o I will re-designate my NRE account as Resident account at all required places.
o I have destroyed the existing cheque book for this account and have applied for a new cheque book in the application form attached herewith.
o I will maintain necessary average monthly balance in my re-designated resident account as may be required from time to time.
o I will close my current ISA and will apply for opening of a new resident Investment Services Account.
o I will inform NSDL/CDSL about my change in residential status and will have it changed to being Resident for my account maintained with them.
o I will close the current NRE Demat and trading account and transfer the holding to a new Demat account after opening it under Resident category.
o In case there are more than 2 account holders in the non resident account and I am a joint holder in that account, then my name will be removed from that account.
In case I am a joint holder in any Non resident account then my status will remain as resident Indian but the mode of operations will be changed to former or survivor.
o I am aware that existing FDs may get re-designated into a resident FDs and on maturity it will be renewed as resident FDs.
o I am aware that my current Debit and Credit cards may be hotlisted and/or migrated to new cards to  be issued to me.

I have enclosed herewith the following documents for your records and verification purposes.
(1) Resident Account Opening Form duly filled in and signed by me;
(2) KYC document - Identity proof - Self-attested copy of Passport/Aadhar/PAN etc;
(3) KYC document - Address proof - Self-attested copy of Aadhar/Passport/DL etc;
(4) TDS waiver form duly filled in and signed by me.

I hope the above information and documents will be sufficient for you to process my application. Let me know in case there is anything else required in this regard.

Kindly do the needful and oblige.

Thanking you!

Yours faithfully,

(Name of the Account holder)